Monday, June 8, 2009

A Pasta of a Time

I confess that my family is a big fan of pasta. We made it a tradition this time to have pasta once a week, preferably on Sundays. Now, when I say pasta it doesn't really mean the sort of stuff that you see in an Italian restaurants menu. I'll probably simply refer to it as Filipino style spaghetti.
An alternative to pancit, the Pinoy style spaghetti is usually a main stay in any birthday party. Of course you wouldn't be able to force kids to like pancit because of the veggies, so spaghetti is there for them to enjoy. The recipe isn't really fixed either, it can vary from region to region or even family to family. But there is one common ground around the Filipino style spaghetti, it is more sweet to taste. A typical Italian Spaghetti Bolognese wouldn't be as sweet, and it wouldn't have slices of hot dog either.
I myself have grow up to a family that loves spaghetti. Now that I'm all grown up, I find that my kids love it too. I've started developing my own variations of the dish, and could even do it in a few ways. On Sundays, I cook Filipino Style Spaghetti. Sometimes I use ground beef with my sauce, and I would do it with ready-made meatballs too.
It's not really too difficult to cook. All you need to do is cook the noodles as per packet instructions. I used to cook my sauce from scratch, but I found that the ready-made sauces were convenient and less hassle for me. Of course, I don't rely purely on there bottle recipes. I add to their sauces to make it my own. Sugar is the one ingredient that often add, and maybe some diced carrots too (it often adds to the sweetness). I would often add some herbs too (coriander, basil, or some dried oregano).
Of course, I love to eat my dish too. But the ultimate goal for myself is to see my kids and wife smile with every dish I make. Filipino style spaghetti is always a winner in their books.

No comments: